Christian Aid (CA) Needs Global Thematic Advisor – Markets and Livelihoods
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Global Thematic Advisor – Markets and Livelihoods
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Reports to (Job Title): Programme Policy Lead
Contracted Hours: 35
Contract length: 3 years
Salary Band: C Low
Competency Level: 3
About the Role
- This role provides thought leadership on markets and livelihoods across Christian Aid.
- It does this through providing technical leadership and thematic advisory to enhance the capacity of programmes/ partners and other relevant stakeholders in the organisation and through generating learning and evidence from programme practice; linking this to improving programmes and influencing public policy.
- The advisory work includes responsive support, to country programme and fundraising colleagues as they design and deliver programme work on markets and livelihoods; and proactive programme development and fundraising to grow and strengthen the markets and livelihoods portfolio.
- The post-holder will promote research and learning, through generating evidence from our programme experience and sharing learning internally, through communities of practice and other approaches.
- The post holder will represent Christian Aid externally in relevant networks to raise the visibility of our work and bring learning from other organizations and networks.
- This role sits in the Programme Policy, Research and Learning division, a cross-organisational team that supports our national programmes, ensuring that we are delivering strong programmes with a transformational impact on poverty; that we are continually learning from and improving our practice and that and our public policy and influencing work responds to and draws on evidence from our programmes.
- In joining us you will have the chance to apply your existing knowledge on inclusive market development (with a particular focus on climate-resilient agriculture and food security), financial inclusion and social protection, and learn from our programme experience, working together with colleagues and partners to influence others based on our practice, and tackle global poverty and inequalities.
- To provide technical leadership and enhance capacity of programmes/ partners and other relevant stakeholders in the organisation to address issues related to markets and livelihoods.
- To contribute to Christian Aid becoming a thought leader in the area, through generating learning and evidence from programme practice, and linking this to improving programmes and influencing (public) policy.
- Country Programmes staff and fundraising colleagues are able to draw on markets and livelihoods expertise through a transparent support request process, and quality assurance input is provided – in order to design and deliver strong programme work on markets and livelihoods, and raise funds for this work
- Appropriate learning processes (e.g. in–depth advisory and accompaniment, programme frameworks, communities of practice) are developed so that good practice is captured and shared, staff confidence is built, and practice improves at country programme level.
- Strong relationships exist with key policy and advocacy colleagues, with a focus on ensuring that insight and learning from programme practice feeds into, and influences public policy development, and provides evidence for advocacy materials
- Active engagement takes place with Research, Evidence and Learning (REL) advisory to ensure that opportunities are developed to integrated REL processes into market and livelihoods programme design and delivery to strengthen the evidence base for, and the development of programme policy in this area
- Christian Aid’s work on markets and livelihoods is presented and promoted through national and international networks, resulting in an enhanced organisational profile within the sector
- Latest thinking, knowledge and debates are followed in order that key insights are brought into Christian Aid, and learning from our practice can be well positioned to engage in /influence external thinking
- Programme advisory and resource materials on markets and livelihoods are developed on the basis of Christian Aid’s values, strategies, and adaptive programming approaches, and informed by ongoing learning of Christian Aid and others
- Surge capacity exists to enable in–country and remote support to programme delivery where and when additional skills/people are required – for short, medium and long term (throughout the programme cycle) to deliver the programme to agreed standard on time and to budget
- You will be a passionate advocate for pro-poor market development, you will have deep knowledge of market system and participatory markets approaches, integrated livelihoods and value chain analysis, within international development and humanitarian contexts.
- You will be familiar with debates and practice on business and human rights, financial inclusion, economic justice and debt relief and social protection; and have extensive practical experience of markets and livelihoods programme design, management and implementation at the country and local level, having had exposure to a range of market and livelihood programmes in different national settings.
- You will bring a strong understanding of evaluation, programme learning and adaptive programming, and an active interest in programme research.
- You will have excellent facilitation and communication skills, experience in providing training and technical support and an ability to promote critical thinking and reflection.
- You will be a creative, innovative and strategic thinker with an ability to build effective working relationships across organisations, including at a distance.
- You will have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to influence others, negotiate and develop win-win solutions and excellent interpersonal skills.
Budgetary / Savings Responsibilities:
- No specific budget responsibility, but may have delegated authority for specific projects.
- Leads the development of Christian Aid programme policy related to markets and livelihoods, and ensures this is aligned with, informed by and influencing Christian Aid’s public policy positioning.
- Provides technical advice to senior managers. Manages research, learning and documentation initiatives, including associated budget and any staff, consultants, interns or volunteers appointed to support these activities.
- Strong analytical skills and high levels of judgement required, with the ability to undertake both broad strategic analysis and context–specific political analysis.
- Ability to link short– and long–term trends and integrate different strands of work to identify key priorities and opportunities.
- Ability to manage complex information and present complex issues clearly and accessibly, with responsibility for developing and articulating organisational policy and good practice.
- Deep knowledge of programme management and experience in delivering programmes within markets and livelihoods will be fundamental to enabling good judgement, leadership and understanding.
Applied Skills / Knowledge and Expertise
- Post graduate or equivalent qualification in international development or relevant discipline
- In–depth understanding of current thinking/ debates on markets and livelihoods, with working knowledge of pro–poor market development, market systems approaches, participatory markets approaches, and integrated livelihoods and value chain analysis, within international development and humanitarian contexts
- Familiarity with debates and practice on business and human rights
- Extensive practical experience of programme design, management and implementation of markets and livelihoods programmes at country and local level exposure to a range of market and livelihood programmes in different national settings
- Excellent communicator in English (written and orally)
- Extensive experience of international development, including familiarity with strategic planning and programme management
- A strong understanding of current thinking in sector–specific M&E, including adaptive management
- Ability to apply analysis of power / social exclusion to programme design and management
- Excellent facilitation skills and ability to promote critical thinking and reflection
- Experience of providing training, technical support and/or advice
- Creative thinking and track record of promoting innovation
- Demonstrable ability to build effective working relationships across organisations, including at a distance
- Ability to use digital communication tools to encourage learning and sharing
- Track record of promoting culture change and organisational learning
- Demonstrable ability to influence others and negotiate win–win solutions
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to discuss sensitive issues and inspire others to take up new challenges
- Familiarity with partnership working and the role of civil society / faith based organisations in development
- Experience of designing, conducting and overseeing applied social research
- Experience of policy/advocacy work
- Experience of managing projects and/or consultants
- Working knowledge of another language relevant to Christian Aid programming.
- External: Other INGOs (including peer agencies in the ACT Alliance), practitioners, consultants, academics, critical thinkers and markets and livelihoods experts especially those based in the global south and donors, to ensure that Christian Aid’s approaches and learning are informed by and inform external thinking/ debates
- Internal: Relevant country programme staff and policy advisors in PPC, Global Thematic Advisors, other members of the Programme Policy, Research and Learning hub, Programme Funding, Humanitarian, Programme Quality and Impact, coordination of a community of practice.
- This role needs to be able to link grounded programmatic understanding and applied practice to more theoretical concepts in markets and livelihoods; and to be able to translate these to programme generalists and public policy advisers.
- This role will also strongly link to our corporate economic justice campaign.
Application Closing Date
21st November 2021.
7th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This role requires applicants to have the right to work in the country where this position is based.
- We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in its workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
- Christian Aid is committed to providing a safe and trusted environment for every person connected to the work we do; and to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour including sexual harassment and exploitation, abuse, and financial misconduct.
- Any candidate offered a job with Christian Aid is expected to share and demonstrate our values and adhere to Christian Aid’s Safeguarding policy and sign Christian Aid’s Code of Conduct.
Global Thematic Advisor – Markets and Livelihoods at Christian Aid (CA)
Christian Aid (CA) Needs Global Thematic Advisor – Markets and Livelihoods
Zeniq was just launched on Pancake swap we need to be a little patience for more instructions on how to go about it
Zeniq Pancake Swap Launched & Withdrawal Procedures at a Very Low Fee
Zeniq Latest Products and How to Activate it
Zeniq will start to ship the Zeniq Hubs from 15th November
Zeniq Hubs disbursement start by 15th November
How to Apply for Zeniq Hubs Collection
Zeniq will start to ship the Zeniq Hubs Latest Products Apply Now
www.zeniq.com Zeniq Blockchain Digital Technology Investments Registration portal
Zeniq Ranks & Benefits/Join the Best Registration Team for New Members
Zeniq Payment Service Provider API-Similar to Paypal/ Bitpay Sign-up Now
Click here to signup for ZENIQ www.newsjotter.com
Click here to signup for ZENIQ Technologies and Safir Benefits
Zeniq Technologies & Safir Earning Potentials
ZENIQ Trading of all Crypto as a Digital Investments Assets/How to Apply
Click here to signup for FOMOEX www.newsjotter.com
www.safir.com/backoffice/auth/login How to Withdraw in Zeniq
Click here for your sustainable system & digitalized Means of earning money on Daily/weekly basis